Lancaster, NY revaluation. It stinks!
Well, if you live in Lancaster, NY, you probably received a lovely letter yesterday regarding your property taxes and your property assessment. There were increases that appear across the board. The equalization rate is no longer as we have moved to 100% valuation. The increases are staggering in many cases.
The town of Lancaster continues to spend, and spend, and spend on projects that don’t benefit the town as a whole.
- There is a pricey new addition to town hall (approximately $985,000).
- There is a new police and courts facility in the works ($8,000,000 Plus).
- There is the new use of a former library for an emergency management office (that’s right, Lancaster has one).
- There is the proposed recreational facility that will certainly add long term costs.
- etc. etc.
Let’s not forget that use of these properties suddenly pulls them off the tax rolls. And, in the case where a sale is possible, eliminates the funds from a sale (Depew Library is a prime example).
Many will be fighting the new assessment figures. In a couple of cases, I will be one of them. If you aren’t familiar with the tools available to you for searching property information here are a couple:
- Lancaster Online Assessment Review System (OARS) http://www.oarsystem.com/ny/lancaster/main.asp
- Erie County Real Property System http://www.erie.gov/ecrpts/webprop.asp
- Erie County Internet Mapping System http://gis1.erie.gov/website/Erie_help/help.htm
I know that there is quite a bit of state and/or federal funding drying up for Towns and Villages. How about cutting costs rather than continuing to spend. If a surplus builds, cut taxes!